Monday, June 15, 2015

Steampunk Goggles


             







This tutorial is a simple Steampunk-esque goggle project. This is for those who are just getting into Steampunk and are limited in budget or for those who need a quick and inexpensive prop for a Halloween costume. I tried to use materials i already had to make these goggles.



 Material List:

1. Water base Black Paint
2. Metallic Copper Acrylic Paint
3. Paint Brushes
4. X-acto knife
5. Super Glue or Hot Glue
6. Ribbon
7. Masking Tape
8. Cheap Swimming Goggles







Step One: Buy some cheap swimming goggles and any other materials you might need. I bought my goggles from Dollar Tree for $1. Everything else I had from previous projects. You will need to disassemble the goggle so you have four pieces: two eye pieces, a strap and nose piece ( note: Not all goggles have nose pieces. If this is so you will only have two pieces.)




Step two: Mask off the lenses of the eye pieces. Use the X-acto knife to trim off the extra tape so you are left with only the lenses covered in tape.








Step Three: Paint the sides of the lenses black. You may need two to three coats of paint. This will be your base coat and help the metallic paint adhere to the sides of the eye pieces.







Step Four: Paint the Metallic Copper ( or whatever metallic paint you choose) over the black paint.

You may need a couple coats to get desired look.
After the paint dries remove the masking tape.











Step Five: Decorating your goggles. Most people will probably use gears. I used odds and ends to decorate my goggles.











I used the nuts on the side of the goggles kinda like a rivet. I used the long metal piece across the top for the nose piece. I wanted the goggles to be slightly at an angle so I used a wadded piece of paper to prop the goggles up. This way as the glue dries it will be in the shape I wanted. I used super glue which worked but took forever to dry. I recommend using hot glue instead. It's faster with less smell.







Step Six: I used the ribbon as my new strap. You could also used leather for this.





This is a simple way of making Steampunk goggles.

Please let me know how this tutorial works for you and suggest any changes you may have.



Keep on crafting!!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment